Testing Other Chrome Extensions (via chrome-extensions://... page)

Hi. I’m trying to build a test suite for another chrome extension’s options page. It lives on a chrome-extension://... type url. I’m pretty sure content-scripts are allowed to run in this context, but I get the error “kantu is not connected to a browser tab” when I try to run a macro here.

Is there any way to get this to work?

• Content scripts can not access any page that starts with extension://... - and therefore no selenium ide can record or replay tests there.

• In web automation mode, Kantu can also not take screenshots of extension://... pages (again, because Chrome does not allow it) and thus the visual methods like xclick (image) or xclick (ocr=text) do not work

• The solution: In the new desktop automation mode, Kantu can take screenshots of these pages, and thus the visual methods like xclick (image) or xclick (ocr=text) do work.

The desktop automation mode is currently in beta testing. If you feel like experimenting, you can

and then go to the new “Vision” tab in the Kantu settings and switch to desktop automation. Now you can construct your macro by adding xclick and xtype commands to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll try that out later.