Privacy question - image preview

I was trying out the free online ocr service. I saw that there is an image preview option that shows the 1st page of the selected PDF file (even without clicking on the Convert button). My question is if the file is uploaded to your servers as soon as it is selected and if so, do you store copies of that file. The file that I selected accidentally has someone else’s data, so I’d like to know if this is something to be concerned about.

Also, could you disable previews or ask users to opt for that specifically? Thanks.

This is a very good question. I can confirm that the image preview runs 100% locally in your browser. Nothing is uploaded until you press “Start OCR!”. You can even inspect the online ocr page source code to confirm this, it is all in your browser.

And all data that is uploaded for OCR processing is deleted from our servers afterwards. Our privacy policy page confirms this, too. In other words: We store absolutely no data from our users.

Thanks. That is heartening to know!

I did check later and found some xhr activity as soon as the file is selected, which seemed to suggest that it was being uploaded in the background to process and render the preview image.